Update to GCC copyright assignment policy

Jason Merrill jason@redhat.com
Tue Jun 1 16:03:22 GMT 2021

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 11:15 AM Jose E. Marchesi via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
wrote:

> > GCC was created as part of the GNU Project but has grown to operate as
> > an autonomous project.
> >
> > The GCC Steering Committee has decided to relax the requirement to
> > assign copyright for all changes to the Free Software Foundation.  GCC
> > will continue to be developed, distributed, and licensed under the GNU
> > General Public License v3.0. GCC will now accept contributions with or
> > without an FSF copyright assignment. This change is consistent with
> > the practices of many other major Free Software projects, such as the
> > Linux kernel.
> >
> > Contributors who have an FSF Copyright Assignment don't need to
> > change anything.  Contributors who wish to utilize the Developer
> Certificate
> > of Origin[1] should add a Signed-off-by message to their commit messages.
> > Developers with commit access may add their name to the DCO list in the
> > MAINTAINERS file to certify the DCO for all future commits in lieu of
> individual
> > Signed-off-by messages for each commit.
> >
> > The GCC Steering Committee continues to affirm the principles of Free
> > Software, and that will never change.
> >
> > - The GCC Steering Committee
> >
> > [1] https://developercertificate.org/
>
> Eer, so you are changing the license of GCC from GPLv3+ to GPLv3 only??

No, there is no change in the license.

> Why current contributors (individuals and corporations) have not been
> consulted before making and implementing such important decisions?

Corporations like my employer contribute to GCC under a certain legal
> setup.

Changing the conditions under which the contributions happen is
> not something to be done unilaterally without a very good reason. The
> mere fact you have sent this email to a public mailing list means I have
> to get my management involved, and most probably lawyers too.

Your employer is very welcome to continue to contribute under the same
legal setup.

Derived versions of GCC could already include code that was not assigned to
the FSF; even the official GCC distribution itself has long included
non-FSF-assigned code in various runtime libraries.
The change is that now we will also be able to incorporate such code into
the source code repository for the compiler.

Jason