FYI/RFC: strub: machine-independent stack scrubbing

Patrick McGehearty patrick.mcgehearty@oracle.com
Wed Jul 14 19:12:40 GMT 2021

I don't have any special expertise in this matter, but the
possibility occurs to me that if the caller is an improperly vetted
runtime linked-in agent such as a device driver, then the stack
scrubbing might accidently or intentionally be omitted, reopening
the security hole that stack scrubbing is intended to close.

Having the scrubbing occur in the calle means the callee controls
what information is returned, making it responsible for its own
security.

Someone with a deeper understanding of the security reasons for
stack scrubbing may know whether my concern has any basis.

- Patrick McGehearty