CFI technologies in GCC

Victor Tong vitong@microsoft.com
Wed Aug 4 00:49:50 GMT 2021

Hello,

I'm interested in learning about any forward edge control-flow integrity (CFI) technologies in GCC. I was able to find information about the Virtual Table Verification, Indirect Branch Tracking and Reuse Attack Protector technologies.

Are there any other technologies in GCC to protect indirect calls? I'm particularly curious about more general solutions since VTV is limited to virtual calls, IBT is limited to x86 and Intel hardware, and RAP requires a GRSecurity license.

Thanks,
Victor