State of AutoFDO in GCC

Andi Kleen ak@linux.intel.com
Mon Apr 26 19:13:45 GMT 2021

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 06:40:56PM +0000, Hongtao Yu wrote:
>    Andi, thanks for pointing out the perf script issues. Can you please
>    elaborate a bit on the exact issue you have seen? We’ve been using
>    specific output of perf script such as mmap, LBR and callstack events
>    filtered by process id. It works fine so far but may certainly hit issues
>    in the future with extended uses.

The main problem is that you cannot just split the output in fields because
some fields (like file names or process names) can have spaces without
any kind of delimeter.

It's possible to work around this, but tends to be fragile and ugly.

Also there were occasional changes in the output the past.

-Andi