State of AutoFDO in GCC

Jan Hubicka hubicka@ucw.cz
Sun Apr 25 19:07:54 GMT 2021

David,

> The text format is documented here:
> https://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html
> The binary format is not documented. The binary format is not guaranteed to
> be backward compatible, so sharing the same format may not be the best way
> as changes for clang may break GCC.
>
> Since linux perf format does not change, the tool should be relatively
> stable with low maintenance cost. Changes are needed only when some new
> AutoFDO features are added to the compiler side.

I was under impression that it is indeed problem with the tool requiring
old format of linux perf. At least with opensuse distro the shipped tool
fails for me:
jan@skylake:~> create_llvm_prof --binary=./code --out=code.prof
E0425 21:01:55.038128 17977 perf_reader.cc:996] Unsupported event type
79
F0425 21:01:55.038295 17977 perf_parser.cc:240] Check failed:
reader_.ReadPerfSampleInfo(*parsed_event.raw_event, &sample_info)
*** Check failure stack trace: ***
    @     0x55e6deb6058e  (unknown)
    @     0x55e6deb94a49  (unknown)
    ..
    Aborted (core dumped)

I collect data as intstructed here:
https://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html

It is from package autofdo-0.18-4.4.x86_64 and perf 5.11.15.

Is there a way to get this working w/o using older perf?
Honza