State of AutoFDO in GCC

Eugene Rozenfeld Eugene.Rozenfeld@microsoft.com
Thu Apr 22 19:58:25 GMT 2021

GCC documentation for AutoFDO points to create_gcov tool that converts perf.data file into gcov format that can be consumed by gcc with -fauto-profile (https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html, https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/AutoFDO/Tutorial).

I noticed that the source code for create_gcov has been deleted from https://github.com/google/autofdo on April 7. I asked about that change in that repo and got the following reply:

https://github.com/google/autofdo/pull/107#issuecomment-819108738

"Actually we didn't use create_gcov and havn't updated create_gcov for years, and we also didn't have enough tests to guarantee it works (It was gcc-4.8 when we used and verified create_gcov). If you need it, it is welcomed to update create_gcov and add it to the respository."

Does this mean that AutoFDO is currently dead in gcc?

Thanks,

Eugene