On US corporate influence over Free Software and the GCC Steering Committee

Eric Botcazou ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr
Tue Apr 20 07:37:40 GMT 2021

> Here the relevant excerpt (but please go chech the quotation):
>
> "As an IBM employee, you are not allowed to use your gmail account to work
> in any way on VNIC. You are not allowed to use your personal email account
> as a "hobby". You are an IBM employee 100% of the time.
> Please remove yourself completely from the maintainers file. I grant you a 1
> time exception on contributions to VNIC to make this change."
>

> This is happened yesterday (literally).

Troubling indeed, but this might just be an overzealous manager.  IBM, like
other corporations, has made significant technical contributions to GCC over
the years, for example the scheduler and the vectorizer, and thus has assigned
the copyright of these contributions to the FSF.

--
Eric Botcazou