removing toxic emailers

Giacomo Tesio giacomo@tesio.it
Sat Apr 17 11:56:56 GMT 2021

Hi Gerald,,

On April 17, 2021 9:09:19 AM UTC, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, Frosku wrote:
> > In my view, if people employed by a small number of American
> companies
> > succeed in disassociating GCC from GNU/FSF, which is representative
> > of the free software grassroots community
>
> I find this insistant focus by some on "American companies"
> interesting - and quite pointless. And my passport is burgundy.

So much that in fact, we are talking about some of the most controversial
corporation in the whole world.

And while we are talking about "toxic emailers", it's not lost to me
the irony that all this divisive debate about inclusive and righteous
behaviour started with an email of a Facebook employee that defines
working in Facebook "a joy".
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2021-March/235091.html

Yeah the same Facebook that still does what Cambridge Analytica used to.

> It also is a completely unwarranted attack on the integrity of the
> maintainers, contributors, and other leaders of GCC. Regardless of
> the color of their passports.

This is a strawman.

People are just concerned about the undue influence that these controversial corporations can have on GCC through the influence they have on their employees.

It would be overly naive to pretend that the Steering Committee members'
are not influenced by their affiliations, even if we were not talking about the
champions of surveillance capitalism.

And this has nothing to do with their integrity.

Why should they have declared such affiliations in the SC's web page,
if they were irrelevant?

Because they acknowledge that their affiliations have a non-negligible
influence on what they do and what they do not.

Also this has nothing to do with their passports.

In fact, as you say,

> The majority of the FSF board,
> FSF leadership, and RMS himself are American from what I can tell.

It was Nathan who framed his request in term of culture, politics and
whiteness and priviledge...

And since the GCC Steering Committe did what he requested, we have to
assume that these are the kind of arguments that we have to debunk,
providing you with a more varied perspective.

But unfortunately you keep invalidating our perspective because... we are "jerks".

Giacomo