A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate

Didier Kryn kryn@in2p3.fr
Sat Apr 17 09:25:10 GMT 2021

Le 16/04/2021 à 19:06, Richard Kenner a écrit :
>> The authority of the FSF, GNU and RMS over GCC is and has been a
>> fiction for decades,
> For the most part, I agree.
>
>> It would be usefull to clarify with the FSF and GNU what the
>> actual relations are,
> Why?  What would that gain?  I go back to my analogy of the British Queen.
> What would be gained by "clarifying" that if she actually intervenes
> non-trivially in the government of any Commonwealth nation, she'd lose
> that power?

    There are differences between the queen and RMS, even if the image
has some merit. For example, the UK remains a formal monarchy in part
because the queen has better social skills than RMS.

    The supporters of software freedom in general are probably not in
favour of a monarchy, even formal, even if they know their debt to RMS.
Therefore, if the GNU project loves to keep this childish fictious power
of the chief GNUisance, this doesn't prevent GCC to remain associated to
the FSF.

--     Didier