removing toxic emailers

Thomas Koenig tkoenig@netcologne.de
Wed Apr 14 15:08:52 GMT 2021

On 14.04.21 16:49, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 15:39, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>>
>> On 14.04.21 15:18, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>>> A strong norm about off-list behavior and politics being
>>> out of bounds here is also helpful.
>>
>> That would have banned the whole discussion about the potential
>> fork from the start.
>
> No, because once again, I raised the topic of a fork because I do not
> feel that association with GNU or FSF benefits the GCC project.

It sure feels like the proponents of the fork want it for political
reasons, and in this case I mean political reasons which have nothing
to do with open source and everything to do with gender, identity,
race and whatnot politics, more specifically US politics.

If I am mistaken, then the best course of action would be to now focus
on getting gcc 11 out of the door and revisit the whole thing in a few
months, when a rational discussion on the merits and demerits of moving
the project away from the FSF has become possible again.

If I am not mistaken - well, if a fork succeeds in drawing away
a significant amount of developers, the only benefactor will
be LLVM, which may or may not what you want, or are willing
to tolerate in pursuit of your other aims.