GCC and it's association with FSF

Rakesh Kumar rakesh.kumar.0xff@gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 08:49:02 GMT 2021

Hi,
I am a long time user of GCC, and have been keenly observing the recent
thread about GCC's association with FSF. IIUC, the motivation to fork is to
change perception "at large" of GCC (and GNU Tools) being linked to RMS ?
Could that be possibly done in a less invasive way than forking ? I thought
David E's decision to remove RMS from SC was a sufficient symbolic gesture
in that regard.

While I agree with the rationale for forking, and the intent of having a
more inclusive and diverse friendly community, could GCC really afford a
fork in practice ? Or will being linked to FSF, potentially turn off
would-be contributors from under-represented backgrounds ?

Personally, I'd probably vouch for a fork, if it won't harm GCC. However,
as a user, I'd be sad to see the GCC community getting split, and I fear if
that would eventually leave the compiler biting dust.

Also, let me take this opportunity to thank all the developers for their
passion and commitment towards creating a free and production quality
compiler like GCC!  I believe GNU Tools is one of the flagship programs of
FSF, and owes its success largely to the success of GNU tools.

(If you intend to reply, please put me on CC as I am not subscribed,
thanks!)

Best Regards,
Rakesh