Build reproducibility of gcc @ NixOS

Tadeus Prastowo tadeus.prastowo@unitn.it
Sat Apr 3 00:14:52 GMT 2021

Hi Arthur,

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 6:45 PM Arthur Gautier
<gcc.gnu.org@superbaloo.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 4:32 PM Tadeus Prastowo <tadeus.prastowo@unitn.it> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Arthur,
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 5:04 PM Arthur Gautier
> > <gcc.gnu.org@superbaloo.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Tadeus,
> > >
> > > On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 9:07 AM Tadeus Prastowo <tadeus.prastowo@unitn.it> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > By "the manual", do you refer to
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html#Building-with-profile-feedback
> > ?
> yes
> >
> > Quoting the page:
> >   When ‘make profiledbootstrap’ is run, it will first build a stage1 compiler.
> >   This compiler is used to build a stageprofile compiler instrumented
> > to collect execution counts of instruction and branch probabilities.
> >   Training run is done by building stagetrain compiler.
> >   Finally a stagefeedback compiler is built using the information collected.
> > End quote.
> >
> > Based on the quote, a reproducible build is to expected for the
> > following compilers:
> > 1. The stage1 compiler.
> > 2. The stageprofile compiler, which is built by the stage1 compiler.
> > 3. The stagetrain compiler, which is built by the stageprofile compiler.
> >
> > Then, a reproducible build is expected for the stagefeedback compiler
> > on the condition that the same information, which was collected by the
> > stageprofile compiler when building the stagegrain compiler, is used.
> >
> > Do you agree with that reasoning?
> Yes, and as far as I can tell, up to the stageprofile I get the same result.
> Only the output of the stagetrain compilation changes, which affects
> the stagefeedback compilation.

By saying "up to the stageprofile I get the same result", do you mean
that you obtain the same stageprofile compilers on two different
architectures?  Or, do you mean that you obtain the same stageprofile
compilers on the same machine by building GCC one after another in
different build directories?

And by saying "the output of the stagetrain compilation changes", do
you mean that the stageprofile compiler __running on the same
machine__ produces different stagetrain compilers?  Or, do you mean
that the stageprofile compiler running on the same machine obtains
different statistics that will later be used to build the
stagefeedback compiler?  Or, something else?

> > > And I would expect, given
> > > the same input provided in the same order, two different architectures
> > > to take the same branch, and not observe any difference.
> >
> > In other words, you expect that branch statistics depends only on the
> > given source code.  Correct?
> That would be my understanding (although very limited).

Could you tell me what you actually mean by the word "architectures",
please?  It is because in my understanding different architectures
mean different instruction sets.

> What I'm trying to understand is: what "local behavior" is injected in
> my build, and see if I could get rid of that, and only keep branch
> statistics/execution counts, which I expect to be reproducible.

That currently I don't know because I haven't fully understood your
actual situation.

> > > I understand
> > > that with autoprofiled builds, the local architecture behavior is
> > > injected in the build, but I don't use that.
> > > I'm not using any -march in the build either (as far as I can
> > > understand/tell). So I do not expect the build to change its
> > > instruction set either.
> > >
> > > Is that normal that two different architectures would issue two
> > > different "execution counts of instruction and branch probabilities"?
> >
> > I guess that it would be the case.
> >
> > > Or is there something more?
> >
> > Perhaps you can have the reproducible build that you want by first
> > isolating the information that is collected by the stageprofile
> > compiler when building the stagegrain compiler and then reusing the
> > same information when building every other stagefeedback compiler.
>
> Yeah, but said information is not reproducible itself (that would
> defeat the purpose of the effort).

I expect that running the same stageprofile compiler on the same
machine twice, once to build stagetrain compiler A and and then once
again to build stagetrain compiler B, should obtain A = B.  While you
imply that it was not the case, I am not sure because you don't say
whether in your case you did the same (i.e., running the same
stageprofile compiler on the same machine twice to obtain A and B).

--
Best regards,
Tadeus