[RFC] Increase libstdc++ line length to 100(?) columns

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen@gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 10:13:33 GMT 2020

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 at 11:54, Liu Hao via Libstdc++
<libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> As you can see, qualified names in C++ can grow up to ~100 characters quite frequently. This may
> deteriorate when `typename` and `template` are sometimes required. I don't think there is
> practically a set of rules which governs all cases. So, if something looks better, go for it, and
> that's why I think a (suggested) 100-char limit is better than the conventional 80-char limit, which
> forces another line break in front of `select_on_container_copy_construction`.

I do have a general question/thought/rumination here, though.
Shouldn't the paren-style and the line length
of libstdc++ be mainly decided by those who develop and maintain it?
It's already not written in the same style
as gcc is, so tweaking that different style to better suit the need of
a template-heavy C++ library perhaps
should be more or less a slam dunk? :)

Despite my sizable contributions to libstd++, I don't have a
particularly strong opinion here. Except that,
my somewhat strong opinion is "let's give Jonathan what he wants,
because it helps his work". ;)