DWARF64 gcc/clang flag discussion

Alexander Yermolovich ayermolo@fb.com
Fri Nov 20 20:22:26 GMT 2020

Hello

On llvm side of compiler world there has been work done by Igor Kudrin to enable DWARF64.
I am trying to add a flag to Clang to enable DWARF64 generation. https://reviews.llvm.org/D90507
In review David Blaikie pointed out that there has been a discussion on what to call this flag:
https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/contributions/746/attachments/578/1018/DWARF5-64.pdf
https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/sessions/90/attachments/583/1201/dwarf-bof-notes-aug24-lpc-2020.txt
https://www.mail-archive.com/gcc@gcc.gnu.org/msg92495.html

Reading through that it doesn't look like there is a consensus on what it should be.

>From discussion there is seems to be mixed opinion if it should be -f<name> or -g<name>. Primarily centered around if -g prefix implies turning on generation of debug information.

Now that LLVM can actually generate DWARF64 for ELF, can we come to consensus on the name?

Thank You
Alex