[PATCH, v3] wwwdocs: e-mail subject lines for contributions

Nathan Sidwell nathan@acm.org
Mon Mar 2 14:31:00 GMT 2020


On 3/2/20 8:01 AM, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
> On 27/02/2020 13:37, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
>> On 2/3/20 6:41 AM, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
>>> On 22/01/2020 17:45, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
>>>>
>>>> [updated based on v2 discussions]
>>>>
>>>> This patch proposes some new (additional) rules for email subject lines
>>>> when contributing to GCC.  The goal is to make sure that, as far as
>>>> possible, the subject for a patch will form a good summary when the
>>>> message is committed to the repository if applied with 'git am'.  Where
>>>> possible, I've tried to align these rules with those already in
>>>> use for glibc, so that the differences are minimal and only where
>>>> necessary.
>>>>
>>>> Some things that differ from existing practice (at least by some 
>>>> people)
>>>> are:
>>>>
>>>> - Use '<topic>:' rather than '[<topic>]'
>>>>    - This is more git friendly and works with 'git am'.
>>>> - Put bug numbers at the end of the line rather than the beginning.
>>>>    - The bug number is useful, but not as useful as the brief summary.
>>>>      Also, use the shortened form, as the topic part is more usefully
>>>>      conveyed in the proper topic field (see above).
>>>
>>> I've not seen any follow-up to this version.  Should we go ahead and 
>>> adopt this?

> I'd like to.  But have we reached consensus?  Seems that every time I 
> produce a revised version of the text we end up in another round of bike 
> shedding.  (Is that a word?)

I'm not sure I've seen a specific proposal following yours.  Some 
suggestions for differences, with varying degrees of forcefulness.  I 
still say go for it.

nathan

-- 
Nathan Sidwell



More information about the Gcc mailing list