Future debug options: -f* or -g*?

David Blaikie dblaikie@gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 16:46:45 GMT 2020

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 12:09 PM Nathan Sidwell <nathan@acm.org> wrote:

> On 7/9/20 3:28 PM, Fangrui Song via Gcc wrote:
> > Fix email addresses:)
> >

> IMHO the -f ones are misnamed.
> -fFOO -> affect generated code (non-target-specific) or language feature
> -gFOO -> affect debug info
> -mFOO -> machine-specific option
>
> the -fdump options are misnamed btw, I remember Jeff Law pointed that out after
> Mark Mitchell added the first one.  I'm not sure why we didn't rename it right
> then.  I'll bet there are other -foptions that don;t match my comfortable world
> view :)

Appreciate the perspective, for sure!

It sounds like some folks who've worked on this a fair bit (at least
myself, Eric Christopher, and Cary Coutant) have had a different
perspective for quite a while - that -g flags generally turn on debug
info emission (& customize it in some way, potentially) and -f flags
modify the emission but don't enable it.

Specifically this conversation arose around changing the semantics of
-gsplit-dwarf, which currently enables debug info emission and
customizes the nature of that emission. There's a desire to separate
these semantics.

I have a few issues with this that I'd like to avoid:

1) changing the semantics of an existing flag (I think it's best to
introduce a new one, perhaps deprecate the old one), especially across
two compilers, issues around version compatibility, etc seem less than
ideal
2) especially given the existing semantics of the flag it seems like
it'd add to the confusion to make -gsplit-dwarf no longer imply -g2,
whereas adding -fsplit-dwarf would be less ambiguous/more clear that
this is not going to turn on debug info emission

Going forward for new flags, I still feel like (given the current
proliferation of -g flags that do enable debug info emission and tweak
it) the ambiguity of -g flags is problematic from a usability
perspective, but I'd be less opposed to new flags using -g than I am
to changing the semantics of an existing -g flag.

If GCC is outright "hard no" on -fsplit-dwarf and (sounds like) has
already changed -gsplit-dwarf semantics, Clang will essentially have
to follow to avoid greater confusion, but I'd like to avoid that if
possible.

Thoughts? Are there other ways we could reduce the ambiguity between
"enables debug info" and "tweaks debug info emission, if enabled"?

- Dave