Future debug options: -f* or -g*?

Fangrui Song maskray@google.com
Thu Jul 9 19:03:29 GMT 2020

Both GCC and Clang have implemented many debugging options under -f and
-g. Whether options go to -f or -g appears to be pretty arbitrary decisions.

A non-complete list of GCC supported debug options is documented here at
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Debugging-Options.html

I think there options belong to 3 categories:

(a) -f* & doesn't imply -g2: -fdebug-types-section -feliminate-unused-debug-types,
    -fdebug-default-version=5 (this exists in clang purely because -gdwarf-5 implies -g2 & there is need to not imply -g2)
(b) -g* & implies -g2: -gsplit-dwarf (I want to move this one to (c) http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2020-July/066202.html )
                         -gdwarf-5, -ggdb, -gstabs
(c) -g* but does not imply -g2: -ggnu-pubnames, -gcolumn-info, -gstrict-dwarf, -gz, ...
             the list appears to be much longer than (b)

( (b) isn't very good to its non-orthogonality. The interaction with -g0 -g1
   and -g3 can be non-obvious sometimes.)

Cary Coutant kindly shared with me his understanding about debug
options (attached at the end). Many established options can't probably
be fixed now. Some are still fixable (-gsplit-dwarf).

This post is mainly about future debug options. Shall we figure out a
convention for future debug options?

Personally I'd prefer (c) but I won't object to (a).
I'd avoid (b).