gcc-cvs mails for personal/vendor branches for merge commits

Jason Merrill jason@redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 19:15:00 GMT 2020

On 1/17/20 11:55 AM, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>> AFAIU, we have access to more fine-grained information; isn’t it possible
>> to differentiate “new” commits, from ‘merges’ and from ‘rebases’?
>> (because a ‘new’ commit does not have the extra fields set up for merges
>>   and rebases).
>
> In my opinion, this would create a lot of complication for the benefits
> being gained. I also think that the more variations of behaviors you
> introduce, the harder is becomes for people to know what's right and
> what's not expected.  People then start getting surprised and start
> asking about it. At best, it's just a quick answer, but in some cases,
> it takes time to remember why we set things up the way they are and why
> it doesn't make sense to change it. Over the years, I have really learnt
> to enjoy the benefits of consistency, even if it is means some areas
> are suboptimal. The "suboptimality" can still be a better compromise
> overall than a superengineered system.

Spamming the list with emails every time someone merges master to their
development branch sounds highly suboptimal, and likely to lead to
disabling email entirely for those branches.  Is it so complicated to
send a single email for a merge commit or non-fast-forward push?

Jason