GCC GSoC 2020: Call for mentors and project ideas

Nicholas Krause xerofoify@gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 15:54:00 GMT 2020

On 1/16/20 8:33 AM, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
> On 1/15/20 5:45 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:
>
>> Therefore, first and foremost, I would like to ask all (moderately)
>> seasoned GCC contributors to consider mentoring a student this year and
>> ideally also come up with a project that they would like to lead.  I'm
>> collecting proposal on our wiki page
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode - feel free to add yours to the
>> top list there.  Or, if you are unsure, post your offer and project idea
>> as a reply here to the mailing list.
>
> I have an idea for a GNU-Make project.
>
> * Separate Make's job-control from the dependency walking.  Right now,
> theses are somewhat tangled up, due to history.  It would be nice to
> separate these into distinct components.  One wrinkle may be that
> single-threaded invocation might need to preserve the
> (implementation-defined) order of dependent rule execution, as
> makefiles that do not completely specify dependencies might be relying
> on that.
>
> I ran into this problem with my hack to add a module-server into make,
> and hacked around it in an ugly fashion.
>
> (I've not run this by the GNU-Make maintainers)
>
> nathan

Martin,
I've been looking into something similar to the scheduler for GCC
parallelizing. Its a lot harder
than it seems due to IPA passes and other things like IPO. Not sure how
Richard was planning to
handle that and unfortunately I've been busy and unable to write up my
ideas for scaling GCC.

Since it may be awhile before it reaches the wiki page here is a link to
a rough draft of my
ideas:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1po_RRgSCtRyYgMHjV0itW8iOzJXpTdHYIpC9gUMjOxk/edit?usp=sharing

I will be exploring the tooling issues when I'm time as that was my next
step.

Sorry if there are grammar issues as its a rough draft,
Nick