gcc-cvs mails for personal/vendor branches for merge commits

Richard Earnshaw (lists) Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com
Thu Jan 16 14:43:00 GMT 2020

On 16/01/2020 14:11, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:40:02PM +0100, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>>> I think there's a similar issue not just for merges but for
>>> non-fast-forward pushes as well.  As a glibc example, consider
>>> <https://sourceware.org/ml/glibc-cvs/2019-q4/msg00666.html> and the long
>>> series of subsequent mails in the glibc-cvs archives.  It's correct that
>>> the five or so rebased patches on the branch got mailed out again.  It's
>>> *not* desirable that the 50 or so patches that were already on master,
>>> that the branch got rebased on top of, got mailed out again.
>>
>> At heart, it is really the same issue. New commits were brought into
>> this branch, and thus if email notification is enabled for that branch,
>> then those commits should trigger emails for their own as well.
>>
>> Typically, branches were non-fast-forward changes are allowed are
>> branches that are personal and not shared. In those instances,
>> the typical setup is to disable emails on those development branches.
>> It sounds to me like turning emails off for branches that can
>> do non-fast-forward is the better solution here.
>
> Couldn't it be then per-branch setting, whether to mail even commits
> that aren't new to the repository or not (like I understood it is already
> possible to decide per-branch whether to send mails at all)?
> E.g. for GCC, I'd certainly like to see mails for all commits on the
> trunk and release branches (but we don't allow merge commits on them
> anyway), and for other branches (personal, vendor, devel) I think mailing
> only about new commits not already in the repository would be better over
> not mailing at all.
>
> 	Jakub

The alternative I suggested to Joseph yesterday was a separate mailing
list for all the personal and vendor commits.  But I think that would
need a change to the hooks infrastructure.

R.