git conversion in progress

Martin Jambor mjambor@suse.cz
Wed Jan 15 03:11:00 GMT 2020

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 14 2020, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Jan 14 2020, Martin Jambor wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Don't use --reference.  It is too easy to lose work if you don't know
>>> what you are doing.
>>
>> What are the risks, assuming I won't delete the referenced repo which
>> sits on the same partition of the same local disk as the new one?
>
> The risk is if the original repository is gc'd (and nowadays git
> automatically runs git gc --auto from time to time) it may lose objects
> that are still needed by the referencing repository.  That doesn't
> happen with git worktree as the main repository knows about all
> references, including worktree local reflogs.

Aha, that makes sense.  In my intended setup, that *probably* would not
happen because the referenced repo would only hold stuff from the
upstream one but the danger sounds real enough for me to reconsider and
use worktrees and a number of branches pointing to the same commit as
master.

Thanks,

Martin