git conversion in progress

Georg-Johann Lay avr@gjlay.de
Tue Jan 14 11:36:00 GMT 2020

Am 11.01.20 um 02:18 schrieb Joseph Myers:
> I encourage people to continue to work on improving the documentation for
> using git with GCC
> (<https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2020-01/msg00623.html> and
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2020-01/msg00625.html> list some of
> the things that it seems it might be useful to document).

Nitpick:

https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html#tags "Branches and Tags"

writes:

A branch called branchname can be checked out with the following command:

     git clone -b branchname ...

Referring to this as "checking out" is confusing IMO, because it may be
confused with
     git checkout -b branchname

Whereas the latter is a checkout of some branch (or changing the branch)
within the same local copy, the former is *cloning* into an individual,
fresh local copy which has only the mentioned branch.

Dito for tags.

Cloning with only 1 branch is usually done because it faster downloads
and consumes less local memory.  When one works with more than one
branch (usually when backporting stuff etc.), the mentioned

git clone --reference original-gcc ...

might be preferable.

Johann