Automatically generated ChangeLog files - script

Jakub Jelinek jakub@redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 15:29:35 GMT 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 05:14:34PM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
> On 4/30/20 3:45 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > If this is what is really created, then for the new file, missing * space,
> > gcc/testsuite/ that shouldn't be there and missing PR c++/94546 line above
> > it.
>
> I've just fixed all these, thanks!
>
> About the 'PR c++/94546': it's mentioned in context of 'gcc/cp/ChangeLog',
> so I would not add it.

IMHO the PR lines etc. should always go to all ChangeLog files, unless the
user clearly expresses he doesn't want that.  People shouldn't be committing
unrelated changes together (to trunk or release branches) in one commit.

So, if there is just one explicit record for one ChangeLog and new file
is needed for another one, IMHO that one should get it too.
One can prevent that by adding explicit entry.

gcc/cp/ChangeLog
2020-02-02  Me  <me@foobar>

	PR c++/12345
	* ...
should add PR c++/12345 even to gcc/testsuite/ChangeLog, similarly
2020-02-02  Me  <me@foobar>

	PR c++/12345
gcc/cp/
	* ...
(this one is clearly request that the first 3 lines go everywhere, just the
individual entries go into the subparts.
Now, if I want just PR c++/12345 in the gcc/cp/ChangeLog and not in
gcc/testsuite/ChangeLog, I can write:
2020-02-02  Me  <me@foobar>

gcc/cp/
	PR c++/12345
	* ...
gcc/testsuite/
	* ...: New file.
or e.g.
gcc/cp/ChangeLog:
2020-02-02  Me  <me@foobar>

	PR c++/12345
	* ...
gcc/testsuite/ChangeLog:
2020-02-02  Me  <me@foobar>

	* ...: New file.
or e.g.
2020-02-02  Me  <me@foobar>

gcc/cp/
	PR c++/12345
	* ...
gcc/c/
	PR c/12456
	* ...
In this last entry, as there were more than one ChangeLog snippets and
they had different PR lines, I wouldn't put anything into the automatically
added gcc/testsuite/ChangeLog entry.

Does this make sense?  Basically, try to do what is most likely the user
wanted.

	Jakub