Bug in closed-source, proprietary software that I do not have access to

Thomas Koenig tkoenig@netcologne.de
Sat May 25 14:37:00 GMT 2019

Am 25.05.19 um 15:16 schrieb Toon Moene:
> On 5/25/19 2:52 PM, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> consider this: There is a bug, confirmed by several people. This occurs
>> in closed-source, proprietary software, and appears to be due to one
>> of my commits.
>>
>> Despite considerable help from somebody who has access to the source,
>> and putting in quite a few (volunteer) hours myself, there is no
>> test case.
>>
>> So, what to do? Close the PR as INVALID? This would be our standard
>> policy, correct?
>>
>> FYI, the proprietary, closed-source software is SPEC, the corresponding
>> PR is 90539, and the friendly helper is Martin Liska.
>
> But the problem seems to be related to netcdf (your comment #22), which
> is freely available (don't know off-hand which license).

I looked at the current netcdf code, and their C interface is different
from what SPEC seems to use. So, it is either a an old version,
or SPEC changed something for some reason, or both.

> Does the problem trigger with netcdf's own test programs ?

I have never built netcdf myself.  Would somebody who wants to
(possibly) generate a test case then have to build 30+ versions
on the off-chance of finding something?