-Wformat-diag: floating-point or floating point?

Martin Sebor msebor@gmail.com
Tue May 21 21:33:00 GMT 2019

On 5/21/19 2:18 PM, Bill Schmidt wrote:
> On 5/21/19 11:47 AM, Martin Sebor wrote:
>> The GCC coding style says to use "floating-point" as an adjective
>> rather than "floating point."  After enhancing the -Wformat-diag
>> checker to detect this I found a bunch of uses of the latter, such
>> as in:
>>
>>    gcc/c/c-decl.c:10944
>>    gcc/c/c-parser.c:9423, 9446, 9450, etc.
>>    gcc/convert.c:418, 422
>>    gcc/cp/call.c:5070
>>    gcc/cp/cvt.c:886
>>
>> Before I fix them all and adjust the tests, I want to make sure
>> we really want to follow this rule.  The C standard uses both
>> interchangeably.  With just one exception, the C++ standard uses
>> the hyphenated form.
> The hyphenated form is correct English, so I certainly prefer it. :-)

I agree and I'm changing the C/C++ FE diagnostics to match.  I count
just 31 test that look for the unhyphenated form, and of those just
three under the gcc.target directory, so the fallout should be fairly
limited.

Thanks
Martin

PS As a heads up, below are the target-specific tests I found:

gcc/testsuite/gcc.target/powerpc/bfp/scalar-extract-sig-5.c:  return
(long long int) __builtin_vec_scalar_extract_sig (source); /* { dg-error
"requires ISA 3.0 IEEE 128-bit floating point" } */
gcc/testsuite/gcc.target/powerpc/bfp/scalar-insert-exp-11.c:  return
scalar_insert_exp (significand, exponent); /* { dg-error "requires ISA
3.0 IEEE 128-bit floating point" } */
gcc/testsuite/gcc.target/powerpc/bfp/scalar-extract-exp-5.c:  return
scalar_extract_exp (source);	/* { dg-error "requires ISA 3.0 IEEE
128-bit floating point" } */