Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT

Julien "FrnchFrgg" Rivaud frnchfrgg@free.fr
Mon Dec 30 00:44:00 GMT 2019

Le 30/12/2019 à 01:18, Joseph Myers a écrit :

> Do "git log egcs_1_1_2_prerelease_2" in gcc-reparent, for example.  The
> history ends up containing two different versions of SVN r5 and of many
> other commits.

When trying to migrate Blender from svn to git, we actually tried
git-svn first, and it produced that kind of strangeness. Sometimes,
something it didn't like in a commit made it duplicate or even multiply
more the whole history predating that commit, with slight differences
(that explain the differing sha1 and thus the multiple versions).

That's actually the reason I got involved with reposurgeon in the first
place, trying to make the then Python version able to cope with the
Blender repository with less than 64GB of ram.

I thought that working around git-svn to only feed it linear commits
would sidestep that bug, but it looks like it still can be triggered.

(At the time the bug was so common that we ended with maybe 20 or 30
times the first 1500 commits in the repository, and of course with the
speed of git-svn, doing 30 times the same work is horrendous)

Julien