Commit messages and the move to git

Richard Earnshaw (lists) Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com
Thu Dec 5 10:36:00 GMT 2019

On 05/12/2019 10:32, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 10:25, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 23:52, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
>>> I've just pushed a new trial conversion:
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.com/rearnsha/gcc-trial2-20191130
>>>
>>> The main differences between this and the previous trial are:
>>> - The author attributions should now be fixed, please let me know if you
>>> see any anomalies in this respect.
>>> - the emptycommit-* tags/branches are now gone.
>>> - the 'tags' used for revert and backport now use more gittish style
>>> revert: and backport:
>>> - the log entries for c++ style functions containing :: are now handled
>>> correctly by my summary generation script.
>>>
>>> Other issues are still being worked on.
>>
>> There's a bogus libstdc++ directory at the top level. That hasn't been
>> present for nearly 20 years, so some commit that should have deleted
>> it seems to be missing or incorrect.
>
> It was removed by r39445 i.e. this commit in the current Git mirror:
>
> commit 1030d23bf251914e12fc8c9d521e334e1f445afc
> Author: mmitchel <mmitchel@138bc75d-0d04-0410-961f-82ee72b054a4>
> Date:   Mon Feb 5 01:38:47 2001 +0000
>
>              Remove V2 C++ library.
>              * configure.in: Remove --enable-libstdcxx_v3 support.
>
>              * Makefile.in (site.exp): Always set HAVE_LIBSTDCXX_V3.
>              * configure.in: Remove --enable-libstdcxx_v3 support.
>              * configure: Regenerated.
>

>      git-svn-id: svn+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk@39445
> 138bc75d-0d04-0410-961f-82ee72b054a4

Ok, this is one to keep an eye on.  There are a number of anomalous
commmits at present, which Eric is working on with a new approach to
replaying the SVN data into reposurgeon.  Once that is done we're hoping
that this sort of problem will go away.  (of course, if it doesn't then
the chances are we won't be using reposurgeon for the conversion at all).

This repo conversion is really for checking that the summaries I'm
generating are not just garbled, and the authors problem from the
previous trial are now fixed.

R.