Solaris issues

Rainer Orth ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Wed Jun 6 02:42:00 GMT 2018

Hi Paul,

>> In Solaris 11.4, there were some changes here for better GNU (bug)
>> compatibility, so there's only a single .rodata section here.
>>  However,
>> there's nothing wrong with how Solaris ld behaved before: I'd claim
>> this
>> is a scalability bug in valgrind: ELF objects can have very large
>> numbers of sections for all sorts of legitimate resons, so it needs
>> cope with them.
>>
>> 	Rainer
>
> Hmm OK. Do you know what change caused this?

what change to what?  ld, libstdc++, ...?  I see those multiple
.rodata.* sections as far back as the /usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.so bundled
in Solaris 10.

> Since there's a patch for Valgrind to fix it, it looks like that would be
> the best solution.

Certainly: besides there's no reason for any artificial limit like it
currently has, they cannot expect everyone to upgrade to Solaris 11.4
once it's released.

	Rainer