Diagnostics that should not be translated

Martin Sebor msebor@gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 02:43:00 GMT 2017

On 03/12/2017 04:51 PM, Roland Illig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the gcc.pot file currently contains more than 12000 messages to be
> translated, which is a very high number. Many of these messages are
> diagnostics, and they can be categorized as follows:
>
> * errors in user programs, reported via error ()
> * additional info for internal errors, reported via error ()
> * internal errors, reported via gfc_internal_error ()
> * others
>
> In my opinion, there is no point in having internal error messages
> translated, since their only purpose is to be sent back to the GCC
> developers, instead of being interpreted and acted upon by the GCC user.
> By not translating the internal errors, the necessary work for
> translators can be cut down by several hundred messages.
>
> Therefore the internal errors should not be translated at all.
> https://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html#Diagnostics currently
> mentions a few ways of emitting diagnostics, but there is no way to
> produce untranslated diagnostics. Therefore I'd like to have a new
> function error_no_i18n that is used instead of error for nonfatal
> internal errors, like this:
>
> @code{error_no_i18n} is for diagnostics that are printed before invoking
> internal_error. They are not translated.

AFAIK, internal errors are reported using the internal_error
or internal_error_no_backtrace APIs.

Would using the existing internal_error{,no_backtrace}, and
sorry work for this? (I.e., not translating those.)  If my
count is right there are nearly 500 calls to these three in
GCC sources so I'm not sure that would put enough of a dent
in the 12K messages to translate but I'm even less sure that
adding yet another API would do even that much.

There are 20-some-odd functions to report diagnostics in GCC
(counting those in diagnostic-core.h).  I haven't used them all
or even understand all their differences and use cases yet so
I would rather no add more to the list if it can be helped.

Martin