std::list iteration performance for under 1000 elements
Soul Studios
matt@soulstudios.co.nz
Sun Apr 24 22:52:00 GMT 2016
Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you could explain this performance for me:
www.plflib.org/colony.htm#benchmarks
(full disclosure, this is my website and benchmarks - I just don't under
the std::list results I'm getting at the moment)
If you look at the iteration performance graphs, you'll see that
std::list under gcc (and MSVC, from further testing) has /really good/
forward-iteration performance for under 1000 elements (fewer elements
for larger datatypes).
Why is this. Everything I know about std::list's (non-contiguous memory
allocation, cache effect) implementation tells me it should have
terrible iteration performance. But for under 1000 elements it's often
better than std::deque?
Benchmarking is done with templates, so there's no different code
between std::deque and std::list (with the exception of std::list using
push_front rather than push_back, for these tests) - and subsequent
changes to the benchmark code have made no difference to the restuls.
Anyway, if anyone here is a GCC developer and has an understanding of
why this happens, I'd be appreciative.
Cheers,
matt
More information about the Gcc
mailing list