Proposed doc update for Explicit Reg Vars 3/3

David Wohlferd dw@LimeGreenSocks.com
Thu Oct 22 07:38:00 GMT 2015


>> Given this, I'm going to go ahead and re-work the local register
>> variables page (probably tomorrow) stating extended asm is the only
>> supported usage.  Although I also think it's important to mention
>> Andrew's point.  If someone sees it in code somewhere, at least the docs
>> will give them some idea what is going on.
>>
>> Stop me if I've got this all wrong...
> Seems reasonable.

An updated Local Register Variables patch is attached with the changes 
discussed.  It also includes removing the extra space after '.' that 
Segher has been giving me grief about and Jeff's request re Globals:

 > Signaling that this stuff may change and that we'd like better 
solutions for certain issues is, IMHO, worth keeping.  Please keep it.

I remain unconvinced that this text is useful for compiler-users, and it 
seems odd to keep gcc's todo list in the user documentation. But I trust 
your judgement, so I have restored the verbatim text to the global page 
(at the bottom).

>> Nobody has commented on
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=64951 (register variable
>> with template function).  While I'm updating the page, is this a
>> limitation of Local Register Variables that should be doc'ed?
> Your call -- folks will be switching from a development to a bugfixing 
> mindset shortly as the gcc6 development window closes. Hopefully 
> someone will take a look at this particular issue at that time.

Ahh.  I assumed that with your Jedi mind powers, you would just 'know' 
whether this was fixable.  I'll just wait to see what happens.

So, this pretty much finishes all the code and doc changes I wanted to 
do to gcc.  While doing this work, I have found a number of bugzilla 
entries where it looks like the needed work has already been done 
(sometimes by the doc changes I've been sending), but the bug hasn't yet 
been resolved.  While I can add comments, bugzilla won't let me resolve 
them or I would update them myself.

When people are in bug-fixing mode seems like the right time to pursue 
this.  How will I know when it's time?  Is there a web page?

dw
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: exp3a.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 7673 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/attachments/20151022/c55a4365/attachment.bin>


More information about the Gcc mailing list