Version numbers question

pinskia@gmail.com pinskia@gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:08:00 GMT 2015

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 6:55 AM, JohnT <democritus7@att.net> wrote:
>
> I am wondering why it appears that GCC has started drastically raising its
> major version number for minor changes, instead of spending several years
> on version 3 and 4. 4.0.1, 4.1.1 and 4.12, 4.2.3, 4.3.2, 4.4.5, up through
> 4.7.0, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, the 4.8 and 4.9 releases, then version 5.1 and
> talking about version 6. Little changes should be reflected in minor
> version and bugfix numbers, not major version jumps.

The simple answer is there is no justification to ever bump the major version any time soon so why not make the major version the one which gets bumped each year. So 5 is the version which is released this year, 6 next year, etc. this is no different from 4.9 last year and 4.8 the year before really. Just it was decided 4.10 does not make sense and is partly confusing to some users; does it come before or after 4.2. Anyways the decision was done to get rid of that confusion and also to avoid having to make a justification of when to bump the major version number.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski