need help with Pointer Bounds Checking documentation

Sandra Loosemore sandra@codesourcery.com
Wed Feb 25 16:16:00 GMT 2015

On 02/25/2015 12:56 AM, Ilya Enkovich wrote:

>> Poking around, I see that the -fcheck-pointer-bounds and various -fchkp-*
>> options are listed in c-family/c.opt, but they are not listed in the GCC
>> manual.  The section on intrinsics is not enough, by itself, to tell users
>> how to use this feature.  Can we please try to get in the documentation for
>> the options that have been implemented so far?  That's a requirement of the
>> GCC coding conventions.
>>
>> I see Joseph already brought up the issue of missing documentation back in
>> November:
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-11/msg01566.html
>>
>> But I cannot find any proposed documentation patch for these options either.
>
> Here it is: https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-11/msg03010.html

 From that thread, it looks like Jeff Law already approved the code
changes in the patch.  Were you waiting for a documentation maintainer
to approve the new documentation before committing it?  I can see that
it needs copy-editing and am willing to help with that, but I'd rather
not mix that up in the same patch with code changes I don't know how to
test.  Or were the bundled code changes withdrawn for some reason?  I
think it's important that the already-committed new command-line options
be documented, so we need to separate that out if necessary and get it
checked in.

-Sandra