need help with Pointer Bounds Checking documentation

Sandra Loosemore sandra@codesourcery.com
Tue Feb 24 16:47:00 GMT 2015

On 02/24/2015 01:14 AM, Ilya Enkovich wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Pointer Bounds Checker is off by default. Patch adding options
>>> documentation is a part of reviewed libmpx patch series which is
>>> waiting for steering committee approval. I didn't want to commit
>>> documentation separately because it has references to features not yet
>>> committed to trunk. Meanwhile it is available on Wiki:
>>>
>>> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Intel%20MPX%20support%20in%20the%20GCC%20compiler#Compiler_options
>>

>> Well, hmmm.  Isn't that true of the already-committed Pointer Bounds
>> Checking intrinsics documentation, then, too?  That is, the intrinsics
>> aren't useful to users without the support to enable this feature that
>> hasn't been committed yet?
>
> Intrinsics are fully implemented.  Compiled programs may be run using
> SDE and MPX runtime library provided with it.

Poking around, I see that the -fcheck-pointer-bounds and various
-fchkp-* options are listed in c-family/c.opt, but they are not listed
in the GCC manual.  The section on intrinsics is not enough, by itself,
to tell users how to use this feature.  Can we please try to get in the
documentation for the options that have been implemented so far?  That's
a requirement of the GCC coding conventions.

I see Joseph already brought up the issue of missing documentation back
in November:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-11/msg01566.html

But I cannot find any proposed documentation patch for these options either.

-Sandra