limiting call clobbered registers for library functions

Joern Rennecke joern.rennecke@embecosm.com
Mon Feb 2 23:15:00 GMT 2015

On 2 February 2015 at 21:54, Paul Shortis <pshortis@dataworx.com.au> wrote:
> I could have avoided the expander and used a single instruction pattern for
> a)b)c) if if could have found a way to have alternative dependent clobbers
> in an instruction pattern. I investigated attributes but couldn't see how I
> would be able to achieve what I needed. Also tried clobber (match_dup 2) but
> when one of the alternatives has a constant for operands[2] the clobber is
> accepted silently by the .md compiler but doesn't actually clobber the
> non-constant alternatives.

You can clobber one or more match_scratch with suitable constraint alternatives
and let the register allocator / reload reserve the hard registers.
Well, not really for cc, you'll just have to say you clobber it, and
split away the
unused clobber post-reload.
That will not really give you less source code, but more uniform patterns
prior to register allocation.  That gives the rtl optimizers a better
handle on the code.
The effect is even more pronounced when you replace all hard register usage with
pseudo register usage and appropriate constraints.