Rename C files to .c in GCC source

Kevin Ingwersen (Ingwie Phoenix) ingwie2000@googlemail.com
Sun Feb 1 16:34:00 GMT 2015

> Am 01.02.2015 um 17:09 schrieb Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:
>
>> Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 01:55:29 +0000
>> From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
>> Cc: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com>, "gcc@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>, Jonny Grant <jg@jguk.org>
>>
>> These files are only compiled by GCC's own build system, with GCC's
>> own makefiles, so we know we invoke the C++ compiler and so the
>> language isn't inferred from the file extension, and so we aren't
>> relying on case-sensitive file systems.
>
> That is true for building GCC.  But what about editors and other
> development tools?  They _will_ be affected.

Indeed. Atom keeps thinking .C is an actual „ANSI C“ thing. If I were to make a suggestion to the GCC dev’s, then I probably could also swiftly word it as:

$ find gcc-src -name "*.C“ | while read f; do mv $f $(echo $f | sed 's/\.C/\.cxx/g’); done

In other words; .cxx, .cpp or .cc seems like a solution that works across platforms. Since .cc is already used at some places, I would recommend that this is to be the extension to choose.

One does not neccessarily need to make a dev apply hacks all over just to start development.