ICE in 4.8.2 with compound literal

Mason mpeg.blue@free.fr
Tue Nov 25 09:27:00 GMT 2014

Hello Marek,

On 25/11/2014 09:47, Marek Polacek wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 09:30:05AM +0100, Mason wrote:
>
>> This ICE may have gotten lost in the noise of my own message.
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2014-11/msg00094.html
>>
>> (The code snippet might be invalid C)
>>
>> $ gcc -std=gnu99 -O3 -S test.c
>> test.c: In function 'main':
>> test.c:3:5: internal compiler error: in expand_expr_real_1, at expr.c:10540
>>   int main() { return *(adds[0]); }
>>       ^
>
> I can reproduce the error.  Please do...
>
>> Please submit a full bug report,

OK, I'm trying to read between the lines here. You want a *full* bug report,
that means you consider the initial report to be incomplete?

Seems I omitted the output of "gcc -v"
Was there other stuff missing?
I'll be sure to read https://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/ more closely.

> this, and don't forget about:
>
>> with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>> See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs> for instructions.
>> Preprocessed source stored into /tmp/cc2RJY0y.out file, please attach this to your bugreport.

I'm confused, because I did provide that part in the initial report.

> (If you need to create a BZ account, please mail overseers and I'll
> take care of that.)

Aaah, you want me to post the bug report to BZ, not here...
OK, I can do that. I've successfully created an account.

When you have a minute, can you take a look at my other message?
"Using Compound Literal + type-punning to initialize static const array"

You committed a patch that seems relevant just a few days ago. But the
documentation lead me to believe that the feature I was looking for had
been supported for a very long time (gcc 3.x at least)

Regards.