Legal paperwork for GCC contributions

Joern Rennecke
Mon Nov 24 11:47:00 GMT 2014

On 24 November 2014 at 10:58, Martin Jambor <> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 06:48:53PM -0500, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I recently contributed some fixes against GCC trunk, gcc-4_9-branch, and
>> gcc-4_8-branch for which I need the requisite legal paperwork.
>> However, I'd like to backport these particular fixes to the MacPorts
>> Project's ports of Apple GCC 4.2 and LLVM-GCC 4.2, which are licensed
>> under "version 2, or (at your option) any later version" of the GPL. We
>> would like the software provided by these ports to remain
>> GPLv2-licensed.
>> Given this, what would be the best way for me to handle copyright?
> If you are the only author of the stuff you want to backport, I
> believe you do not need to ask any permission from anyone.  Donating
> your own work to a FSF project does not prevent you from contributing
> it to a different project, even under a different license (IIUC, for
> example the go front-end works this way too).  Of course, you must not
> include anybody else's substantial piece in the backport.

It doesn't prevent you from doing it, but you should give the FSF
notice beforehand (i.e. before the other usage, unless that has
already happened) that you intend to use your code in another project
under a different license.

Otherwise, the FSF would have no sure way to tell valid re-use of own
code by the author from Copyright/left infringement (AKA GPL violations).

IIRC, there is a passus in the Copyright assignment form that spells
out what you should do.

More information about the Gcc mailing list