testing policy for C/C++ front end changes

Sandra Loosemore sandra@codesourcery.com
Thu Nov 13 04:06:00 GMT 2014

On 11/11/2014 02:05 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
>   On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Sandra Loosemore
> <sandra@codesourcery.com> wrote:

>>> Bootstrap should now be required for both C and C++ FE changes
>>> _and_ for libstdc++ changes as well given we start to pull in
>>> libstdc++ headers during bootstrap.
>>

>> Hmmmm.  How about the attached patch?  I also added a blurb about
>> target-specific patches that I think reflects current practice.
>
> I think you need to retain the fact that one needs to bootstrap, not just
> build GCC.  Thus "If your change is to code that is not in a front
> end, or is to the C or C++ front ends or <code>libgcc</code> or
> <code>libstdc++</code>
> libraries, you must perform a bootstrap of GCC with all languages enabled
> by default, on at least one primary target,  and run all testsuites."
>
> Ok with that change.

I think I'll have to leave the policy rewriting to somebody else, then,
because I don't understand what to do about patches to a back end that
cannot be bootstrapped (e.g., a bare-metal or embedded target where GCC
is normally built as a cross, or where the patch submitter only has a
simulator available for testing, etc).

-Sandra