testing policy for C/C++ front end changes

Joern Rennecke joern.rennecke@embecosm.com
Sun Nov 9 23:40:00 GMT 2014

On 9 November 2014 23:13, Sandra Loosemore <sandra@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> Forgive me if this has been raised before -- I tried searching the archives
> but couldn't think of good keywords that would weed out unrelated posts....
>
> I was checking the testing requirements for a C front end patch
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#testing
>
> and noticed that the policy is to require a complete bootstrap for C
> changes, but not for C++.  Given that GCC's implementation language is now
> C++, isn't that backwards?

Indeed, seem like a valid point to bootstrap for C++ changes.
But bootstrap for C changes appears still valid, too; we still got C source in
various places, like libgcc, and generator programs.