ilp32 far pointers

David McQuillan dmcq@fano.co.uk
Sat Sep 14 00:51:00 GMT 2013

Has there been an implementation or design of a way of representing 64
bit pointers with ilp32 on a 64 bit system? I know this sounds like it
is rather pushing the boundary and one should just use the lp64 but I
believe it could save effort in a number of circumstances. What I was
thinking of is something like say
char __attribute__((longptr)) *abc; would hold the address with the top
part zero, or even with a full 64 bit address if there was enough
support but that sounds a lot more work.

David