Getting the ARC port reviewed and accepted

David Edelsohn dje.gcc@gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 23:47:00 GMT 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/01/2013 03:19 PM, Joern Rennecke wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Richard Biener<richard.guenther@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Good.  So what remains is the configure parts, the libgcc parts and
>>> the documentation parts.  Though for all of them they look ARC
>>> specific so maybe the maintainership covers these as well.
>>>
>>> I suppose this automatism when being assigned the maintainership
>>> escaped Joern as well ... ;)
>>

>> I knew that the maintainership in general covers the relevant config
>> and testsuite bits as well as the port specific directories, but David
>> Edelsohn
>> said at my appointment as maintainer:
>>
>> : The GCC SC has approved acceptance of the port and you as maintainer.
>> : I will announce that shortly.  Because the patches that you want to
>> : include in GCC 4.8 are localized to the port, I think that it still
>> : should be possible to merge it into trunk (assuming the RMs agree),
>> : but you still need a Global Reviewer to approve it.
>

> Ofercrineoutloud, I'm wondering if we've changed from the Knights Of
> Free Software to a bunch of clerks obsessed with process for process's
> sake.
>
> Please, there must be a Global Reviewer reading this.

This hyperbolic reaction is not helpful and you have enough experience
with the GCC community to understand why a technical review is
helpful.  There clearly are alternate ways of interpreting the request
than as some bureaucratic torture test.  There are legal or other
reasons that GCC might not want to accept an offered patch (GCC SC
approval) and there have been severe technical problems with some
proposed new ports or the port may touch common areas of the compiler
(GCC global reviewer).

If some GCC Global Reviewer is confident in Joern's ability, which I
don't doubt, he can approve it based on that.

It is unfortunate that global reviewers are so busy that they cannot
review the few, infrequent new port submissions. But I find it very
distasteful for someone to hyperventilate because other, busy people
don't do something that appears obvious. GCC is a community not a
dictatorship.

- David