register indirect addressing for global variables on powerpc

Andrew Pinski pinskia@gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 16:59:00 GMT 2013


On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Thomas Baier <baier@microsys.de> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I've just subscribed to the list and I hope this is the right place for
> the following question.
>
> The operating system I'd like to use gcc for (OS-9, for the curious)
> requires an ABI, where global variables are only accessed through
> register indirect addressing. On the powerpc platform, r2 is used for
> indirect addressing. There is already a feature in gcc which can use
> register indirect addressing for the powerpc target for global variables
> using a special small data area, but unfortunately this is not enough.
>
> Currently I'm a bit lost in where to start reading to get an idea how I
> could add this new ABI to gcc. Can you please point me to some reading
> or maybe even share some ideas how this could be accomplished?

The Mac OS 9 ABI is very similar to the AIX ABI.  So you should be
able to start with the AIX ABI and go from there.

Thanks,
Andrew



More information about the Gcc mailing list