GCC support for PowerPC VLE

David Brown david.brown@hesbynett.no
Wed Aug 8 17:18:00 GMT 2012

On 08/08/12 17:08, William Swashbuckler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently read in several places that GCC now supports the
> PowerPC VLE instruction set architecture as a target. However, I have
> so far been unable to find any actual documentation on this? AFAICS
> the online doc doesn't show any new target options, see e.g.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/RS_002f6000-and-PowerPC-Options.html

> Thx

Where did you read about this?  I talked to CodeSourcery (the main
PowerPC gcc maintainers) a while back, and they said they had no plans
to implement VLE - there simply wasn't enough market.  That may have
changed, however - Freescale's PowerPC microcontrollers are getting more
popular outside their traditional market, and CodeSourcery's new parent
company Mentor might see a future in VLE support.  And of course, there
may be some other company or contributor that has implemented VLE
support outside of the main tree.