GCC support for PowerPC VLE
David Brown
david.brown@hesbynett.no
Wed Aug 8 17:18:00 GMT 2012
On 08/08/12 17:08, William Swashbuckler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently read in several places that GCC now supports the
> PowerPC VLE instruction set architecture as a target. However, I have
> so far been unable to find any actual documentation on this? AFAICS
> the online doc doesn't show any new target options, see e.g.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/RS_002f6000-and-PowerPC-Options.html
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thx
>
Where did you read about this? I talked to CodeSourcery (the main
PowerPC gcc maintainers) a while back, and they said they had no plans
to implement VLE - there simply wasn't enough market. That may have
changed, however - Freescale's PowerPC microcontrollers are getting more
popular outside their traditional market, and CodeSourcery's new parent
company Mentor might see a future in VLE support. And of course, there
may be some other company or contributor that has implemented VLE
support outside of the main tree.
More information about the Gcc
mailing list