suggestion to use lzma for snapshots, maybe more?
Vincent Lefevre
vincent+gcc@vinc17.org
Wed Jan 13 03:36:00 GMT 2010
On 2010-01-12 19:40:50 -0500, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> I was idly looking through a couple of snapshots of the gcc -trunk line.
> I am by no means a compiler developer, but I did notice that you aren't
> using lzma for compression. I don't know if bandwidth is at all a
> concern, but I can point to a >20% drop in download size:
>
> $ svn co svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk gcc-trunk
> ...
> $ find gcc-trunk -name ".svn" -type d -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf
> $ tar -cf - gcc-trunk | lzma --best > gcc-trunk.tlz &
> $ tar -cf - gcc-trunk | bzip2 --best > gcc-trunk.tbz &
[...]
lzma (the file format) is obsolete and has been replaced by xz.
--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / Arénaire project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)
More information about the Gcc
mailing list