dragonegg in FSF gcc?

Duncan Sands baldrick@free.fr
Sun Apr 11 16:17:00 GMT 2010

Hi David,

> The Graphite project and the various GCC targets participate in GCC
> development.  Helping fix GCC bugs affecting those features, supports
> and grows the GCC developer base.  There needs to be some mutualistic
> relationship.  I don't see members of the LLVM community arguing that
> they should contribute to GCC to improve performance comparisons.

as I mentioned in my email, I see dragonegg as being a useful tool for
comparing the gcc and LLVM optimizers and code generators.  That sounds
like the kind of thing you are asking for, but perhaps I misunderstood?

> As Steven mentioned, LLVM has been extremely effective at utilizing
> FSF technology while its community complains about the FSF, GCC, GCC's
> leadership and GCC's developer community.

It is true that plenty of people disaffected with gcc can be found in the
LLVM community.  Dislike of gcc or its license seems a common motivation
for looking into the clang compiler for example.  It seems to me that this
is a natural phenomenon - where else would such people go?  It would be a
mistake to think that the LLVM community consists principally of gcc haters
though.

If GCC is so helpful and
> useful and effective, then work on it as well and give it credit; if
> GCC is so bad, then why rely on it?  The rhetoric is disconnected from
> the actions.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Working on an LLVM middle-end/back-end for
gcc doesn't mean I despise the gcc middle-end and back-ends, it just means
that I think this is an interesting project with the potential to result
in a better gcc in the long term.

Ciao,

Duncan.