Fwd: make bootstrap and make not working for gcc-4.4.1

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll@brown.edu
Fri Sep 4 19:01:00 GMT 2009



Begin forwarded message:

> From: Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll@brown.edu>
> Date: September 4, 2009 12:07:51 PM EDT
> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: Re: make bootstrap and make not working for gcc-4.4.1
>
>
> On Sep 4, 2009, at 10:42 AM, Paolo Carlini wrote:
>
>> Margaret Doll wrote:
>>> I need help in installing gcc in /usr/local.
>>>
>>> After configuring gcc in /usr/local/gcc-4.4.1/objdir using
>>>
>>> ../gcc/configure --prefix=/usr/local/ --enable-threads=[osix
>>> --enable-shared --enable-languages=c++,java --enable-bootstrap
>> Last but not least, from your build dir you should invoke the  
>> toplevel
>> configure, that is the one in gcc-4.4.1, not in gcc-4.4.1/gcc.
>>
>> Paolo.
>
> The [osix  was a typo.  My email system is not on my server.
>
> I added the --enable-bootstrap because I was not getting a bootstrap  
> option
>
> I was following the instructions on the build from http://gcc.gnu.org/java/build-snapshot.html
>
> 5. Compile and install gcc/gcj/libgcj
> $ cd compile
> $ mkdir objdir
> $ cd objdir
> $ ../gcc/configure --enable-threads=posix --prefix=/home/joerg/gcc \  
> --enable-shared --enable-languages=c++,java \ --with-as=/opt/gnu/bin/ 
> as --with-ld=/opt/gnu/bin/ld
> $ make bootstrap
> $ make
> $ make install
> Which doesn't work.
> cd /usr/local/gcc-4.1.1
> ./configure
> ends in the error that I have the wrong version of mpfr.h.   I am  
> using mpfr-2.4.1.   The error log says that I should be using
> mpfr 2.3.2+
> I will look for mpfr 2.3.2 and try again.

I am still using mpfr 2.4.1 installed in /usr/local

I started with a clean gcc-4.4.1 directory
cd /usr/local/gcc-4.4.1
mkdir objdir
cd objdir
../configure  --prefix=/usr/local/ --enable-threads=posix --enable- 
shared --enable-languages=c++,java --with-gmp --with-mpfr

make bootstrap
	
	goes on for many minutes and ends with

/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem /usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/include - 
isystem /usr/l
ocal/i686-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include
checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in `/usr/ 
local/gcc-4.4.1/i68
6-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc':
configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
See `config.log' for more details.
make[2]: *** [configure-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcc-4.4.1'
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcc-4.4.1'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Looking in config.log I found

configure:3450: checking for suffix of object files
configure:3471: gcc -c   conftest.c >&5
configure:3474: $? = 0
configure:3498: result: o

What was I supposed to do to make this work?



>
>



More information about the Gcc mailing list