plugin hooks

Basile STARYNKEVITCH basile@starynkevitch.net
Tue Oct 27 15:29:00 GMT 2009

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net> writes:
>
>> * propose a simple patch to add the PLUGIN_REGISTER_PRAGMA event now?
>
> Do this.

Will do probably tommorow or this evening!

> On the other hand, skimming your list of hooks, I really question the
> need for, e.g., REPLACE_PASS_MANAGER.  I would want to see a real use
> case there before adding such a hook.

 From several face to face discussions with ICI CTuning people (that it
Grigori Fursin, Albert Cohen, Zbignew Chamski; all 3 are in CC of this
reply) I understood that GCC ICI is exactly doing that: it has replaced
GCC pass manager by its own, which invokes all the existing GCC passes
in some better order (or better number of invocation) and produces
better generated code (the tuning is done by machine learning
techniques; they did run their modified GCC a large number of times and
did build a database of measures.).

I cannot explain more in details what GCC ICI is actually doing. I hope
my ICI friends will answer here. Perhaps even Zbignew's latest patches
are related to the answer.

Regards.