Dealing with warnings on __attribute__((user)) when dehydra is not loaded

Basile STARYNKEVITCH basile@starynkevitch.net
Fri Oct 16 14:16:00 GMT 2009

Diego Novillo wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 08:44, Basile STARYNKEVITCH
> <basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:
>

>> I have a simpler suggestion:
>>
>> every attribute whose name starts with an underscore like "_user" or
>> "_foogreen" or "_BORING" never produce any warnings, except perhaps in the
>> plugin handling it.
>
> Yeah.  Or perhaps a variant of this.  Allow -Wno-attribute to take as
> argument the name of the attribute you want to ignore.

I am not convinced that exactly is a very good idea. I would expect that
with plugins, we'll have significantly more attributes. I don't know if
having a really big CFLAGS (in Linux Makefile parlance) is a good idea.

The proposed underscore notation is quite simple, and suggest a notation
to separate the important attributes (those handled by GCC core) from
the other ones.

A more sophisticated variant would be to have every attribute belonging
to some attribute class, and have Wno-attributes=attributeclass but I
feel that is too complex!

Regards.