LTO and the inlining of functions only called once.

Jan Hubicka hubicka@ucw.cz
Sat Oct 10 15:28:00 GMT 2009

> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 02:31:25PM +0200, Jan Hubicka wrote:
> > My solution would be probably to pass -fdump-ipa-inline parameter to lto
> > compilation and read the log.  It lists the inlining decisions and if
> > something is not inlined, you get dump of reason why.
>
> GCC's dumps are really aimed at compiler developers.  I think we would
> benefit from more "what is the compiler doing to my code" options
> (producing "note:"); things like which functions were inlined, which
> loops unrolled.  We do already have this for vectorization.

We already have -Winline that dumps same info for all functions marked
inline.  I am not sure if warning about all functions would help too
much, but I might be C centric where if I wanted to get something
inlined, I would use inline keyword :)

Honza